wassertanzen13

Random stuff, stuff I like, blog improvement stuff. The usual...

Sunday, July 16, 2006

9/11 internet duels - Who (if anyone) is correct?

Now that we have a bit in the way of background knowledge and tools (with the 25 Rules of Disinformation and the Internet Archives) we can start to look at the content of different 9/11 sites, articles, evidence, etc. Hopefully, by taking a skeptical and logical approach to both some of the skeptical sites and articles(of the official 9/11 account skeptics) and the skeptical (of the official 9/11 account and of possible 9/11 disinformation websites) we can be skeptical of something, I think, though you may be skeptical.

One thing which I notice when I read statements like: "As outlandish as these claims may sound, they are increasingly accepted abroad and among extremists here in the United States." and "Only by confronting such poisonous claims with irrefutable facts" (Popular Mechanics - 9/11: Debunking The Myths)and is what I will refer to as a use of adjectives. Don't get me wrong, I like adjectives. I often use them myself. I don't think that they generally add a great deal to the facts, however. Now when I read something like the above, I tend to think that the writer wants me to take sides even before I have a chance to look at the "irrefutable facts" which counter the "poisonous" and "outlandish" claims being made and/or accepted by foreigners and "extremists".

One thing which I notice when reading a debunking or review of an article like that, such as this one- Popular Mechanics' Assault on 9/11 Truth by Jim Hoffman or Reply to Popular
Mechanics re 9/11 by Peter Meyer
is that they quote the full body of the topic and they address each point being made. I tend to associate that with thoroughness. So far, I have not seen Popular Mechanics replying to either of those articles, but I would look forward to reading that (as well as the follow up replies by their authors). Until I read that reply, I tend to favor the authors who have the last word, even though they may have a smaller readership.

But comparing a magazine article to an online article or site may be unfair. In my next article I won't attempt an entire review of the site 911Myths, but rather point out a few things which I have noticed which tend to make me skeptical about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home